Sunday, November 06, 2005

Busy weekend, redux

We busily busied all weekend. The summary:

Watched: On Friday night, the big kids and I watched The Mask of Zorro - Drew and I had seen it before, but it was Fran's first time. We all enjoyed it immensely - the fight scenes are really wonderful, and I have to admit I really like Banderas as Zorro. I've heard mixed things about the sequel (Salon gave it a glowing review, but other reviewers were less than impressed), but I'd like to see it anyway.

On Saturday, we went to Will and Merideth''s for dinner and watched The Pirate Movie (there are just no words. . .it's like someone threw Gilbert and Sullivan and that faux late 70's Victoriana and The Blue Lagoon and some bad pop ballads in a blender and hit puree) and Napoleon Dynamite, which I really enjoyed - it's quirky and weird, but basically a very sweet movie, and even though it's not set in the south, most of the characters reminded me strongly of my extended family (I guess it's true that there are rednecks everywhere!).

Read: the first half of The Jane Austen Book Club (for my book club). I'm really enjoying this - Fowler's style is very elliptial - very show-y rather than tell-y - and the characters are really engaging. This is the first book by Fowler that I've read, and it reminds me a little bit of Barbara Kingsolver, who is also very good at intercutting stories of several different characters, and at glorifying the mundane.

In addition, I took Fran to her soccer game, cleaned the bathrooms and the bedrooms, did a bunch of laundry and dishes, and baked bread (1 loaf sandwich, 1 loaf cinnamon swirl).

Oh, and keep your fingers crossed - my mom and dad got an offer on their house (which has been on the market nearly 2 years). If all goes well, they'll close on January 4th.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home