Wednesday, October 12, 2005

October Column and "Otherwise"

My October column is up at austinmama.com.

I just took two loaves of bread out of the oven, and there's applesauce cooking in the crockpot. In a bit, I'm going to start the turkey broth for the turkey and rice soup we're having for dinner. . .(But before that, there willl be a big pot of Earl Grey tea and bread and butter and honey.)

Outside my window, there's an enormous gossamer spider's web billowing in the breeze, with a fat spider right in the middle of it. The day is bright and sunny with that autumnal clarity. Alec and I had a lovely walk this morning, when it was still foggy and damp - he wore his Spiderman raincoat and his bug rain boots and the fog condensed in his hair and sparkled when the sun came out. When we got home, he played quietly with his blocks and I was able to get a lot of writing done.

I'm put in mind of this poem, by Jane Kenyon. . .

Otherwise

I got out of bed
on two strong legs.
It might have been
otherwise. I ate
cereal, sweet
milk, ripe, flawless
peach. It might
have been otherwise.
I took the dog uphill
to the birch wood.
All morning I did
the work I love.

At noon I lay down
with my mate. It might
have been otherwise.
We ate dinner together
at a table with silver
candlesticks. It might
have been otherwise.
I slept in a bed
in a room with paintings
on the walls, and
planned another day
just like this day.
But one day, I know,
it will be otherwise.

3 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Adrienne said...

Nice poem. And I enjoyed the images of Alec and the walk. As for fat spiders, we have quite a few up here that I can send down, if you feel a need for more of them...l

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Melissa!

I just visited the AustinMama site. My neighbor writes for it as well. Somehow, I wasn't surprised to see your name by an article (Domestic Disturbance), and really enjoyed it. Sophia is 14 months now, and we take walks every morning. I loved your blog!

Tracy ...from the "Supper Club" a few years back :)

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Hi Tracy! It's great to hear from you again - I can't believe Sophia is so big. . .Time really flies, doesn't it? Who's your neighbor who writes for Austinmama?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home