Monday, September 12, 2005

Like Lazarus. . .

I had my throat slit last week, and I'm only just beginning to recover. No worries - it was a planned procedure. I've been having problems with my thyroid for years (it tended towards high, but would occasionally swing low, so it was difficult to treat), and after some kind of dicey test results, my endocrinologist reccomended that I have it out. The procedure itself isn't particularly complicated, and I seem to be making a good recovery, but I have a rather garish scar on my neck (the surgeon assures me it will fade in time) and something about coming up from general anesthesia always feels like coming back from the dead.

I spent one night in the hospital and then five days recuperating at my Mom and Dad's (away from my sweet, but clinging children), eating cherry popsicles, chicken noodle soup, and saltine crackers. Luckily Adam's parents were able to be here for most of that time, to help him with the kids. I came home last night, and I'm beginning to gradually slip back into my normal routine, although I'm trying to take it easy and not overdo it. Right now it feels like my skin doesn't quite fit me, although I'm sure everything will settle down in a few days. Adam's home for the rest of the week, so I can take it slowly.

In other news, my September column is up at Austinmama.com about (what else) hurricane Katrina. I also recommend the other columnists and the feature article by Marion Winik, one of my favorite essayists.

4 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Marvin said...

I'm glad to hear you're well!

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Marvin!

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous gordsellar said...

Wow, that's pretty friggin' scary. So do you have a good story to tell strangers about that scar?

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Hey Gord! I've had some suggestions but nothing that had the appropriately grand guignol feel. . .

On the other hand, I feel like I've got plenty of options for Halloween costumes this year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home