Monday, September 19, 2005

The first day of the rest of my life. . .

Adam went back to work today, so my convalescence is officially over, although I'm still trying to take it easy. I actually feel so much better than I expected to at this point - I'm still sore, and I think my synthroid dose needs some tweaking (good thing I have an appointment with the endocrinologist tomorrow!), but I already feel so much better than I did before the surgery. I'm still having some neck mobility problems, but I was able to drive the kids to school this morning without any difficulties. And the incision is healing very nicely. The bruising has mostly faded, so I no longer look like someone tried to throttle me and then slit my neck, and the incision, while noticable, isn't glaring.

Had a pretty social weekend. My brother, Ben, is in town from New York (for the Austin City Limits Festival - he can pick up some work there through his old job, and make a quick buck or two) and we had dinner with him and my mom on Saturday, and swam in mom and dad's pool. It sounds like Ben's having a hard time making the transition to NYC living. He's working his ass off (and barely has time to go to auditions) and living as frugally as he can, but he's still barely making ends meet. He's doing some great work with a theatre company that he fell in with, and has written a play that they want to produce, but it's all for free. He seems a little disillusioned, and I hate it for him, because he was so excited about this move. But it was great to see him.

Last night, Merideth and Will and their kids came over. We cooked chicken on the grill and had a cookie baking bonanza (oatmeal chocolate chip and regular chocolate chip!), and the kids played in the sprinkler mud. Merideth and I concocted a clever plan to do some bulk shopping and then spend a day cooking a bunch of meals that we could stock our freezers with. Any suggestions of recipes that double and freeze well are greatly appreciated!

Tonight I'm supposed to go to my book club meeting (to discuss Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake, which is depressing as hell, but inventive and cunningly constructed). I really want to go (I haven't been in months), but Drew has his first Cub Scout meeting tonight (right up until the time book club starts) and I'm already feeling pretty worn out. I think something's gotta give. . .

2 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger julie beth said...

i'm so glad you made it to book club, melissa! was very good to see you. i'm glad everything's going so well.

oh, and the enchanted broccoli forest cookbook has an amazing potato-leek soup that freezes excellently in tupperware or freezer bags. email if you'd need the recipe typed out.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger 8709 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home