Friday, September 26, 2003

Taking Control of My Life (Again)

About this time last year, I made a decision to take control of my life and made some grand plans to organize the house, start exercising, get serious about my writing, etc. As a reward for my hubris, I got pregnant and all plans fell by the wayside. I did eventually get this blog started, and I'm writing more consistently than I ever have, so it wasn't a complete loss. Now that Alec is here, I'm ready to try again. So without further ado, here's the plan:

1. Organize the house (in small increments) and then get into a maintenance routine. The overarching principle will be "Do we absolutely have to have this in our house?" if the answer is no, it's gone. I'm slowly coming to realize that I'm holding onto a lot of crap because it makes me feel safe or secure to have an answer for every possible contingency or out of some vague sense of obligation. In fact, there's so much stuff crammed into every corner of our house, that we can never find the things we need, and frequently have to go buy duplicates. All the "we might need this some day" stuff gets in the way of the "we use this every day" stuff, and everything gets lost or messed up. I'm tired of the clutter and the mess.

2. Get healthy. I'm not a big fan of diets, but I think I need to eat healthier food. And I definitely need to get more exercise. Merideth and I are going to start walking on Thursday mornings (before our No. 1 Ladies Writing Circle meetings), and I'm going to try to walk at least 3 other times every week.

3. Apply to graduate school. I'm not sure I want to go back, but I want to at least have that option.

4. Get into a daily routine with my writing. Send out some query letters for article ideas I've had. Finish my short story and write the 3 others I have ideas for. Stop letting the fear that my work isn't any good keep me from working.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home