Sunday, September 14, 2003

Skills vs. Knowledge

Thinking about this week's Friday Five, and reading everyone's lists, I've come to a realization. I'm not a particularly skilled person. I have quite a bit of knowledge - I know lots of stuff (most of it fairly useless), but I can't do very many things. Knowledge is actually fairly easy, especially if you know where to find information and have access to a computer, but skills take time, training and practice. Not only am I not acquiring very many new skills, but I've lost some of the ones I used to have, through lack of practice. I can still decipher written Spanish or French, but my speaking ability is pretty much lost. I can no longer play a guitar, stage fight (hand to hand or with a blade), waltz, run a 10 k race, or recite the St. Crispin's Day speech from memory (ok, that last one might be more knowledge than skill, but whatever it is, I've lost it). I'm depressed now. . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home