Wednesday, September 24, 2003

In Just Seven Days, I Can Get You a Man

According to this yahoo article, single professional women are rushing to buy this new bestselling book - Find a Husband After 35 Using What I Learned at Harvard Business School - which offers 15 steps guaranteed to help women find a mate, all based on the author's experience in marketing.

Maybe I'm the wrong person to comment on this, since I'm married and have been since dinosaurs roamed the earth, but doesn't this smack a bit of "get me a man, any man"? I like to think that, if I were single / divorced / widowed, I would be looking for someone to fall in love with, not just a warm body that I could convince to marry me with clever marketing. I'm certainly not a proponent of the soul mate theory - that everyone has a perfect match somewhere in the world who will make him or her blissfully happy. I think that most of us could be compatible with many other people, and that at least 50% of a happy marriage is the work you put into it, not the overwhelming passion you share. But still, even to a jaded old pragmatist like me, this idea of marketing yourself into a marriage seems cynical and sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home