Friday, September 05, 2003

Friday Five

What are your top 5 El Guapo's?
"I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us!"
- Lucky Day from the Three Amigos
Topic suggested by Dave

1. Perfectionism - I have a deep and abiding need to do everything perfectly, which of course, is rarely possible. In order to give myself an out, I sabotage myself by procrastinating so that I can say, "well, of course, it wasn't my best work, I threw it together at the last minute." I've recently been augmenting this solution with the novel approach of over-committing myself, so that I can say, "I'm doing my best, but I've just got too much going on." Yes, I realize that if I can recognize these "solutions" as sub-par coping strategies, I ought to be able to avoid them. Who says my psyche has to make sense?

2. Cute - I'm 4'11" tall, I'm relatively youthful looking, and I have a southern accent. Believe me when I say that people don't take cute girls seriously. Luckily, this is a problem that's solving itself now that my hair is turning grey and I'm starting to look my age. I'm honestly glad to look a little older - I can use a little gravitas.

3. Sleep - Sleeping is all well and good, but think of all the stuff I could get done if I didn't need to sleep so much. I'm one of those people who seriously needs eight hours a night. Sleep deprivation makes me cranky, depressed, and unable to think straight. After a few rough nights I'm hallucinating that railroad crossings are nuns and experiencing mid-level aphasia. Unfortunately, I'm also one of those people who can't sleep unless all the proper conditions are met. The room has to be cool, dark, and quiet. I have to be wearing my sleep mask. I have to have the right number and kinds of pillows. I'd like to be one of those people (like my dad) who can get by on four or five hours of sleep and can sleep anywhere at any time. Better yet, I'd like to have the genetic modification from Nancy Kress' novel Beggars in Spain and need no sleep at all.

4. Structure - It may come as a surprise to those of you who've seen my house, but I actually need lots of structure and order in my life. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at maintaining order. Also, I have three children. My life is all about embracing the chaos.

5. Money - I've followed my bliss into several money-losing careers, but many of the things I enjoy doing are quite expensive. I have no desire to be a corporate wage slave, but I want to travel, buy books and cd's, and wear quietly expensive clothes. I'd like to be independantly wealthy, please.

Also playing: Adam, Will, Merideth, Colleen, Chris, and Gina. Dave and Chris are at the beach this weekend, so their lists will be late. Blogger is not letting Merideth update her blog for some unknown reason. I don't know what Colleen's excuse is. . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home