Friday, June 20, 2003

Friday Five

Five Books or Movies that I Know A Lot About Despite Never Reading / Seeing Them (topic suggested by Merideth)

1. Fame (the movie) - I saw a few episodes of the tv show, and, since I attended a fine and performing arts high school (The Alabama School of Fine Arts), everyone always asks if my high school was "just like Fame." My general sense is that the movie is like a second rate John Hughes flick with singing and dancing on tables. I've added it to my netflix queue, so I guess I'll soon find out.

2. The Canterbury Tales - I had to memorize the prologue in high school and possibly (I can't really remember) I read a few of the tales. We also watched a poorly made movie based on some of the stories. But I don't think I've ever read the whole thing - in fact, I dropped my English major to a minor to avoid taking Chaucer.

3. Paradise Lost - Again, I've probably read excerpts for various classes, but I've never read the whole thing. Maybe someday. . . .

4. Les Miserables - I've seen the musical multiple times, I can recite the lyrics to all the songs, and I've seen a couple of the movie versions. A few years ago, Adam and I made a valiant effort to read it aloud to one another. We got several hundred pages in and nothing had happened, except that Hugo had established that the bishop was a really great guy. That phrase has become our family code for something that's been hammered into the ground. We abandoned the book in dismay. I have a feeling it would be a better book to read by myself, since I could skim all the repetitive stuff. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.

5. Rashomon - I know, I know. It's a classic of Japanese cinema, and it's the basis for all those artsy different points of view movies. I had a particularly obnoxious professor in graduate school who referred to it incessantly, and it's taken me 7 years to even think about watching it. It's in my queue - I'll actually watch it some day. Maybe.

I'm proud to report that as of a year or so ago, I can remove Moby Dick from this list, as I finally got around to reading it. I'm trying to fill in the holes in my education. Honest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home