Friday, June 27, 2003

Friday Five

The Five Albums I've Listened to the Most in my Lifetime (to the best of my recollection, in no particular order)
topic suggested by Will

1. Harry Chapin - Greatest Stories Live - The soundtrack of my childhood. This album was one of my parents’ favorites and I don’t remember not knowing every word to all the songs. I could probably still recite all the banter Chapin goes through with the band and the audience during “30,000 Pounds of Bananas.”
2. Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes - During my last 3 years of high school, this tape played fairly constantly in my 1975 powder blue Chevy Malibu. It rotated with David Bowie, The New York Dolls and Mott the Hoople in my boyfriend's 1967 Galaxy for our Friday Night trips to Southside and the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
3. Don McLean - American Pie - What was playing during this same period in my high school best friend's car. Along with:
4. James Tayler - Sweet Baby James - And Carole King, Simon and Garfunkel, and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Yeah, it was the 80's, but we mostly prefered to pretend like it was still 1975 as far as music went.
5. The Beatles The White Album. Do I really have to explain or justify this? It's The Beatles!

Possibly should be in the above list, too close to call:
1. Jimmy Buffet - You Had to Be There
2. Bach: Brandenburg Concertos
3. Grieg: Peer Gynt Suites
4. Joan Baez - Diamonds and Rust
5. Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits

This topic is inherently biased towards older music and music that you discovered when you were younger. Here are some albums that would make the list if it was based only on the past ten years :
1. Suzanne Vega - Nine Objects of Desire
2. Nanci Griffith - Flyer
3. Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth
4. Yo Yo Ma - Bach: Six Unaccompanied Cello Suites
5. Maura O'Connell - Just in Time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home