Monday, June 02, 2003

Bizarre Associations

When I opened the Netflix website today, there was a list of recommendations waiting for me, based on the ratings we've given other movies. Each rec includes a brief description of the movie, a list of the stars, the director and "similar to:" indicating another movie you liked that (presumably) the recommended movie is similar to in tone or plot. One of my recommendations today was Grave of the Fireflies - an incredibly depressing anime about 2 abandoned children in post WWII Japan. According to the movie experts at Netflix, this movie is "similar to:" Eddie Izzard: Dress to Kill - a recording of the hysterical transvestite comic Eddie Izzard performing his standup routine in San Francisco. Similar how? In that they're both about carbon based lifeforms? OH, maybe because they're both dvd's available to rent at Netflix? I feel like I'm missing something here. . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home