Monday, April 21, 2003

Interesting article about the demonization of the Liberal. My friend Merideth recently observed that the problem with political discourse in this country is that Liberals are afraid to stake out their positions too loudly, while Conservatives take every opportunity to explain their platform. Consequently, many people mistakenly believe that NPR is the Liberal equivalent of Rush Limbaugh - equating the Centrist position with far left and positioning Conservatives who are slightly to the left of Newt Gingrich as Moderates. This article certainly supports her position. So let me be the first to step up and say: "I'm a Liberal, and I'm proud!"

I believe in abortion rights, affirmative action, the ERA (how's that for a blast from the past), gay rights (including the right to marry the partner of your choice, regardless of your respective genders), and gun control. I'm anti-death penalty. I actually believe that many criminals can be rehabilitated. I'm willing to pay more taxes in order to provide a safety net for the unemployed, under employed, and uninsured. I think evolution should be taught in our schools. Not only that, but I'm a feminist. Boy, am I evil or what?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home